Rob assists both solvent and insolvent businesses in preparing financial models which help clients forecast their future cash flows and are often provided to lenders in support of a request for financing. Rob has also acted as a Financial Advisor on several high profile Canadian insolvency proceedings.
Rob graduated in the top 10 percent of his class at the Smith School of Business at Queen’s University and spent the first 3 years of his career at Ernst & Young. Before joining Farber, Rob worked as Senior Financial Analyst at JumpTV (an internet start-up listed on the TSX) and later as a Financial Manager at EllisDon Corporation, a large Canadian construction firm.
Select client experience
- Financial Advisor to the Superintendent of Financial Services representing the Ontario Pension Benefit Guarantee Fund in the Sears Canada Inc. CCAA proceedings.
- Financial Advisor to Representative Counsel for the non-union retirees and active employees of U.S. Steel Canada Inc. (a.k.a., Stelco).
- Engaged as Financial Consultant to a large technology company. Rob prepared an integrated financial model which forecasted the income statement, balance sheet, and cash flows of the business; the model assisted the company and its lender understand a complex revenue stream and the resulting implications on the company’s strategy.
- Acted as Proposal Trustee for a Canadian book distributor. Rob took a lead role in the negotiations between the company and its largest supplier, prepared cash flow projections for the business, assisted the company achieve maximum realizations under a sale process, drafted reports to court, and assisted the company in maximizing realizations to creditors.
- Acted as Court Appointed Receiver for a chemical company located in Toronto. As part of this mandate, Rob oversaw the operations of the business, ran a 363-style stalking horse sales process, provided regular reporting to court, and ensured a smooth transition to the new purchaser.
- Financial Advisor to the Superintendent of Financial Services representing the Ontario Pension Benefit Guarantee Fund, a major stakeholder in CCAA/Chapter 11 filings by Nortel Networks.
- Trustee in Bankruptcy for a national retail chain with 24 stores across Canada. As the senior person in the field, Rob helped stabilize operations after the filing, ensure a smooth an orderly sale process, and maximize recoveries for creditors. Farber’s entrepreneurial approach resulted in achievement of meaningful realizations for stakeholders far in excess of expectations.