Managing Director | Restructuring
Derek Church is a Managing Director with the Restructuring practice of B. Riley Farber. His practice focuses on corporate restructuring and financial advisory services.
Derek has experience advising corporate clients and their stakeholders in both informal and formal restructurings. His most recent experience consists of a director role, internal to a lending institution, assisting the organization in restructuring their complex distressed accounts in Western Canada.
Derek has advised on and executed in the following situations:
- senior secured facility restructuring and workouts
- syndicated credit facility restructuring and workouts
- distressed lending and refinancing
- distressed going concern sale
- informal restructuring and turnaround advisory
- lender advisory
- Companies Credit Arrangement Act (CCAA) proceedings
- Division 1 Proposals under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (BIA)
- court-appointed and private-appointment receiverships
- corporate bankruptcies
His experience is across a wide range of industries. With a focus on Alberta and Western Canada, his deepest expertise is in the energy & resources sector—specifically oil and gas. Other industry experience includes, real estate (commercial, industrial, multi-family and hospitality), mining and resource extraction, logistics and transportation, manufacturing and automotive.
Select client experience
- structured and provided equipment financing to facilitate restructuring the capital structure of a distressed oilfield service firm whose existing lender wanted to exit
- acted for a lender on numerous workouts of large syndicated credit facilities advanced to oil and gas producers, and oilfield service firms
- advised lender in exit of a syndicated credit facility advanced to an oil and gas producer that later went insolvent and ceased operations, preventing any loss of principal
- lender on workout of a senior secured facility to an oil and gas drilling contractor
- lender in CCAA proceedings that progressed to a Receivership of junior oil and gas producer
- court-appointed receivership of residential condo development
- previously an officer in the Canadian Armed Forces Reserves
- representing B. Riley Farber out West, in Calgary, he’s no stranger to the outdoors. He actively enjoys fishing, hunting and hiking through the Alberta terrain. Learn more about Derek in his Faces of Farber profile