Based in Vancouver, his practice focuses on helping small businesses, small business owners, professionals, and consumers in distress.
He understands the impact that financial problems can have on his clients’ livelihoods; and provides practical, cost-effective solutions to financial problems.
Brett is a Licensed Insolvency Trustee and has also been involved in proposal trustee, receiver (private and court appointments), and bankruptcy trustee appointments for distressed businesses undertaking a restructuring or an insolvency proceeding pursuant to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act.
Select client experience
- two separate Ponzi scheme type bankruptcies, both files with large pools of mostly individual creditors (investors) requiring considerable forensic examination of records and documents, including British Columbia Securities Commission (BCSC) involvement, and the unraveling of the complex legal investment structure affecting the claims of those creditors
- liquidation proposal and resultant bankruptcy of a medium-sized printing operation whilst acting as a private receiver requiring the balancing of multiple stakeholder interests and competing priorities.
- multiple court-appointed receiverships requiring large-scale asset tracing and asset sales processes – including a large-scale log processing operation, motor vehicle dealership, and technology company
- guiding of multiple small to medium-sized business operations through private receiverships, division 1 restructuring proposals and bankruptcies
- brett has also been involved in the liquidation of a public company pursuant to the voluntary liquidation provisions of the British Columbia Business Corporations Act
- prior to joining Farber, Brett was a partner with a mid-sized consumer and corporate insolvency firm in BC, handling numerous corporate insolvency engagements across a broad range of industries. He has also helped many individuals through the challenge of overwhelming consumer debt