On October 14, 2015, Jonathan Cooperman was appointed by the Court to be the Estate Trustee During Litigation (the “Trustee“) regarding the death of Mr. Paul Zigomanis, his estate and the explosion.
Court Motion (originally to be heard on June 27, 2016; was eventually heard on August 15, 2017)
The motion, brought by the Trustee, heard on August 15, 2017, sought the following relief:
- An order declaring that the property municipally known as 3356 Brimley Road, Scarborough, Ontario (the “Brimley House“), and registered on title in the names of John and Mary Zigomanis, was and has been held in trust for Paul Zigomanis (“Paul“) since August 1, 1996.
- An order declaring that title to the Brimley House be transferred to the Trustee of Paul’s Estate effective January 1, 2015, being the day following the death of his father, John Zigomanis.
- Such further and other relief as the Honourable Court considers just.
The Honourable Madam Justice Spies agreed with the Trustee’s position and issued Reasons for Decision on November 17, 2017, a copy of which can be viewed below. Since no appeals have been filed regarding Justice Spies’ Decision, the Trustee is presently seeking the issuance of the corresponding Order(s) by the Court.
The case updates and court filed documents on this website are for information purposes only and you should consult your financial or legal adviser if you have any questions or concerns about your rights or obligations. Additional updates on the status of these proceedings may become available in the future.
Motion Materials August 15, 2017 (formerly June 27, 2016, October 18, 2016, January 10, 2017 and May 24, 2017)
- Important Notice Page dated May 11, 2016
- Notice of Motion dated May 11, 2016
- Complete Motion Record dated May 13, 2016 (includes the Notice of Motion and the Second Report) – Part 1 of 2
- Complete Motion Record dated May 13, 2016 (includes the Notice of Motion and the Second Report) – Part 2 of 2
- Second Report of the Estate Trustee During Litigation dated May 11, 2016
- Second Report of the Estate Trustee During Litigation dated May 11, 2016 – Appendices
- Supplemental Report to the Second Report of the Estate Trustee During Litigation dated October 14, 2016
- Amended Factum of the Moving Party dated February 10, 2017
- Book of Authorities of the Moving Party dated February 10, 2017
- Factum of Certas Home and Auto Insurance Company dated January 4, 2017
- Amended Factum of Certas, et al dated May 15 2017
- Second Supplemental Report to the Second Report of the Estate Trustee During Litigation dated May 17, 2017
Court Orders and Endorsements
- Appointment Order of Justice Conway dated October 14, 2015
- Service Approval Order of Justice Penny dated March 9, 2016
- Endorsement of Justice Conway dated June 27, 2016
- Order of Justice Wilton-Siegel dated January 10, 2017
- Order of Justice Spies dated August 15, 2017
- Reasons for Decision of Justice Spies dated November 17, 2017